Straight Up with Sherri

Thursday, March 31, 2005

HOLY SMOKES! TOM PURCELL DOES IT AGAIN!!!!


Tom Purcell is a columnist for Pittsburgh Tribune, Jewish World Review, and Men's Daily News. He has also been recongnized by Rush Limbaugh for his GREAT editorials. Last week He wrote the editorial If Terri Schiavo Could Talk. Thank you TOM!


I just received this from him and he gave me permission to post it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


My Living Will


To my family, friends, physicians and my potentially lousy, greedy future wife, who may attempt to whack me as soon as the court-settlement check clears:

I hereby request that if something awful happens to me, that I be kept alive. I have a spirit and soul, after all, and want God, not anyone else, deciding when it is time for me to check out.

But if I end up on a feeding tube in a Persistent Vegetative State and my physicians feel I am incapable of making and communicating my own health care decisions, here is what I want:

Get more opinions! Doctors are often wrong. I have, in fact, been known to show symptoms of a Persistent Vegetative State following happy hours or a long night at the pub.

Before you do anything, I demand that a young female nurse administer a cold Coke and a Quarter Pounder with cheese, a technique that has successfully restored my cognitive functioning in the past.

But if I remain in a vegetative state, I demand that my mother, not my future wife, be my surrogate. I can understand my wife moving on with her life with another fellow, but it would be insane to allow such a woman to determine whether I live or die.

If my wife goes to court to win back the right to make life-death decisions on my behalf -- if she successfully contests my living will and claims I would want to die -- I demand that a competent private investigator makes sure she isn’t also dating the doctors who keep telling judges I am in a Persistent Vegetative State.

If the courts side with her -- and if they sided with Michael Schiavo, despite numerous conflicts of interests, they very well may -- I want the best lawyers in the world to fight the culture of death crowd that embraces her.

If we lose in the state courts, I want my case appealed all the way to the top. I want the federal courts to start fresh -- I want the same considerations that are routinely given to rapists and murderers, other Americans who have been sentenced to death.

And from the beginning, I want Jesse Jackson at my bedside, using his considerable rhetorical skills to articulate my plight. I want Ralph Nader on my legal team. I want Nat Hentoff, a genuine liberal -- he approaches all issues with a broad and open mind in search for truth -- articulating my right to live.

It is important that Americans understand what is really going on -- that as a disabled person, it is my right to be given due process. That before anyone pulls my feeding tube, the evidence must be clear and convincing that this is what I really want, a consideration Terri Schiavo failed to receive.

I want the ACLU to side with my legal team, not my wife’s. This organization claims to be a protector of individual rights, yet it used its influence to strip Terri of hers.

And if my wife is still able to convince the judges, based on hearsay and nothing in writing, that my living will is moot and that I would NOT want to live with a feeding tube, I refuse to die the way Terri did.

I refuse to make it easy on those who sentenced me to my end. No, I want my body to be set on fire, then shot from a rocket launcher over the nation’s capital.

While my flaming body soars through the sky, I want every person who looked the other way -- the media, the courts, and many allegedly liberal folks who claim to stand for individual rights -- to experience my painful and spectacular death.

And most of all, I want my last production to drain every red cent from my trust fund, so that my wife ends up with nothing -- nothing but memories of her loving husband going out with a bang.


Sincerely,

Tom Purcell



(Tom Purcell’s e-mail address is TomPurcell@aol.com; his web address is www.TomPurcell.com)
Tom Purcell
Writer
TomPurcell@aol.com

www.TomPurcell.com

571-216-6265

11 Comments:

  • Great article! I've told the people closest to me what I want and don't want, but if this slope gets deeper then I wouldn't put it past some high and mighty judge to over rule everyone.
    Marine Momma

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 PM  

  • This artical is great and i feel that if terri family want her to live than is should be.

    D00558989
    Pw

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • Can't anyone tell me what sherri wanted herself. regards to her living or dieing.


    D00558989

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 PM  

  • YES! I WANTED HER TO LIVE! I WANTED HER TO HAVE THERAPY!

    I WANTED TERRI TO HAVE A CHANCE! A CHANCE TO BE TREATED WITH TRUE DIGNITY AND TRUE LOVE WITH TERRI BEING THE ULTIMATE CONCERN OF THOSE WHO HAD THE POWER TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR HER!

    I WANTED TERRI TO HAVE EVERY CHANCE AND POSIBILITY THAT I WOULD WANT FOR MY OWN CHILD!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 3:58 PM  

  • HELL YES TOM! At least you have it in writing!

    Sherri, please don't delete my comment for this one word, in this case, I think it appropriate

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:01 PM  

  • In this case, it is appropriate...

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 4:05 PM  

  • I just watched Bobby Schindler on FOX for the Press Conference...
    I am soooo crying!


    I am crushed

    No- I take that back

    I am pressed but not curshed, pursecuted not abondoned..

    Struck down, but not destroyed...

    I am blessed beyond the curse, for his promise will endure, His joy is going ot be my strenght

    though the sorrow may last for the night

    His joy comes in the morning!

    I'm trading my sorrows..
    I'm trading my pain,,,

    I'm laying them down, for the JOY of the LORD!

    I'm trading my sickness

    I'm trading my PAIN..

    I'm laying them down... for the JOY OF THE LORD!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 4:59 PM  

  • "Yes, I have seen enough zombie movies to compare that to Terri Schiavo. In my opinion, Zombie is better! When God calls me, I will go - like I have a choice then?"

    I think it is inevitable that medicine and technology will reach the point where technically, they can keep your body going indefinitely. Do you have no limits on how much you're really willing to submit yourself to?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 PM  

  • anonymous

    If you want to show disrepsect to the Schindelr family, get your own blog!

    If you want to post a full newspaper article abut nothing but political rambling- get your own blog!

    I PURPOSELY did NOT post anything "Ploitical" today. It is the day Terri passed. This transcends politics. YOU need to get a life! YOU need to search in your heart and try to figure out why you are so full of hate and lacking any class. I am so sick of those supporting this starving of Terri talking about "Death with dignity" but yet can't take ONE DAY to show ANY SELF DIGNITY, let alone DIGNITY TO TERRI!

    NOT ONE DAY COULD YOU ALL CONTROL YOUR HATE! NOT ONE!

    It's like listening to Hollywood talk to us about morals.

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 7:23 AM  

  • If you would open your eyes and read a little bit- you will see that there are dissenting opinions everywhere! Including persaonl attacks to ME. ONE DAY! JUST ONE DAY! Out of respect to Terri's family- I chose to show at least ONE DAY of keeping the politics out of this! GROW UP!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 9:24 AM  

  • TRASH ME or pose any political view you like on another thread. All I asked was one day to show respect. I am VERY tolerant of opposing views- Whine all you want about ME EXPECTING ONE DAY OF RESPECT ON MY BLOG! Like I said- post dissent on another thread. Post links too. DON NOT POST A WHOLE ARTICLE! For that- GET YOUR OWN BLOG!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 11:30 AM  



<< Home