Another Mentally Handicapped Girl Raped- Did the Bus Driver HELP the RAPIST?
APRIL 26, 2005 -- There's a new development in the investigation into a report of rape on a school bus in Pender County.
A teenage student says she was sexually assaulted by another student on the bus. Now the bus driver is temporarily off the job.
Two students were heading home from Heide Trask Senior High School last Tuesday, when a 17-year-old mentally handicapped girl says a 16-year-old boy raped her.
The girl told the Pender County Sheriff's Department that the boy told he was going to rape her and that's when the bus driver turned the rearview mirror so she could not see what was happening in the back of the bus.
The Pender County Board of Education said the driver has been suspended with pay until the investigation is concluded.
Here are some SCARY statistics from US Department of Justice:
• A survey of 1,700 11-14 years olds found that
- 51% of boys and 41% of girls believe that a man has a right to force a woman to kiss him if he had "spent a lot of money on her."
- 32% of boys and 32% of girls say it is not improper for a man to rape a woman who has had past sexual experiences.
- 87% of boys and 79% of girls said rape is okay if a man and woman are married.
- 47% of all those surveyed said it was okay for a man to rape a woman he has been dating for more than 6 months.
(Acquaintance Rape: The Hidden Crime, edited by Andrea Parrot & Laurie Bechnofer)