Straight Up with Sherri

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Choose Life- Debate in Ohio!

Debate Continues Over 'Choose Life' License Plates

Plates Are Now For Sale

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Starting Wednesday, Ohioans could begin buying a license plate that promotes adoption, NBC 4's Erin Tate reported.

The "Choose Life" message on the Ohio license plate has angered pro-choice advocates who are suing the state for not giving them a voice.

Some are worried that the new specialty plates will become as political as bumper stickers.

"The cause of adoption, with the inherent life message, takes it to a different area than we've ever been before," said Fred Stratmann, of the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Anti-abortion activist Ed Nicholson, of Future For Life, said the new plates "encourage others to not take the life of unborn children."

The ACLU and a reproductive rights group are suing the state for "viewpoint discrimination." They say lawmakers rejected an amendment to create a pro-choice plate.....



READ IT ALL!

6 Comments:

  • I don't think that a "choose life" license plate should be allowed if a "pro choice" license plate was rejected.

    CM2056

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 PM  

  • cw7560
    It seems to me that there is some bias going on in Ohio. If there are pro-life plates then there should be pro-choice plates. Fair is fair. For example, I don't like the Confederate flag but if people have it on their license plates, that's fine. I don't have to buy that one. There should be a license plate that has the curent flag on it, to be fair.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 PM  

  • If the Ohio State government creates a "Choose Life" license plate, but not a "Pro Choice" one, it is clearly bias. Why are they creating such a license plate at all? Do they want me raoad rage to occur? Personally, I don't want to be stuck in traffic behind a car with either plate staring back at me.

    tj1625

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 PM  

  • O.K. I believe in pro-choice. If I'm driving and I see a license plate with choose life on it, will my view point change? I've seen numerous slogans promoting things I don't agree with and my thoughts weren't swayed. My point is that pro-choice activist feel as the choose life supporters may have gotten one up on them. All this is going to do is cause more marches and protest which will ultimately be done in vain because what Big Brother says goes, end of discussion.

    Anonymous 5775 EK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 AM  

  • TB9131
    I don't agree that there is a "choose life" license plate but Ohio wouldn't allow a "pro choice" license plate. I am without a doubt for choosing life, but however disagree that there is not a pro choice plate being allowed. This is suppose to be a free world and if someone chooses to express themselve's with a pro choice license plate that doesn't change the way I feel at all. Fair is fair. If you have it for one you should have it for the other. End of story.
    TB9131

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • OK, to all the anonimi....I definitely am getting this plate next time my opportunity comes up (as an Ohioan), as the extra money will go towards supporting life. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home