Straight Up with Sherri

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Abortion Providers Enact Changes

I was at the State Capitol in Atlanta Georgia on the day that Georgia Right to Life was there lobbying for "The Women's Right to Know Act." Representative Ed Setzler, MY Representative for the Georgia House, is a STRONG Pro-Lifer and took time out of his schedule to thank them for their work.


Abortion Providers Enact Changes
Reported By:
Denis O'Hayer
Web Editor:
Manav Tanneeru

Georgia abortion providers made some big changes Wednesday, a day after new abortion restrictions went into effect.

The "Women's Right to Know" requires abortion patients to wait 24 hours from the time they first contact a doctor.

Providers must also read women a list of abortion risks and alternatives, and patients under 18 must notify parents or guardians in advance.

Phone counselors at the Feminist Women's Health Center started reading what they call "the script" days before Governor Sonny Perdue made it law.

“Women have broken down in tears listening to this,” said Robin Gelberg, a clinic director.

Gelberg argued it's unfair to read the same warning to every woman because some have special circumstances. “It could be a fetal anomaly diagnosis later than they expect, and they're horrified, and it's a terrible family crisis. It could be a rape survivor or an incest survivor,” she said.

Anti-abortion advocates and abortion rights advocates agree on one thing: they want fewer abortions performed.

They disagree, however, on whether the new law will accomplish that.

Anti-abortion leaders predict the warning, which directs women to a state information Web site, will reduce abortions.

“Women have the opportunity to look at that and see that this is a baby -- it's not a piece of tissue, it's a real live human being, [and] that it is going to make a difference,” said Sadie Fields of the Christian Coalition of Georgia.

“It will make women make a more informed decision, which I believe is their medical right,” Perdue said.

Gelberg says her clinic always counseled women about risks and alternatives in person. “Even with that information, there is unwanted pregnancy. “So I'm not sure how it will affect the numbers of abortion requested or sought,” she said.

Clinic officials told 11Alive News the state has not yet prepared the information booklets the law requires they give to patients.

3 Comments:

  • I think that the new law will be beneficial to parents who were not aware that their daughters were pregnant in the first place. I do not think that it will decrease the abortion rate.

    cm2056

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:16 PM  

  • Sherri....I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am a 22 year old female, who is a full time worker and student. Before I started participating in your blogs, I was pro-choice. You'll even find a couple of my postings stating that I believe in pro-choice, but know that I could never do it myself. Well, I've read every single article on abortion you have posted...and my mind is completely changed. I choose life...for every human being born or unborn. So thank you again.

    CT 1824

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 PM  

  • TB9131
    I believe that any young lady under the age of 18 should have the parents involved in this decision. I am not pro-choice but however would never commit such an act myself. I don't judge anyone for their reasons that they may do this but I find it absurb that young ladies would think not enough to tell their own parents. Yes we make mistakes but you are not yet an adult and can not and should not make these type of decisions on your own. I believe also that by making it a 24hr waiting period this may help a women better make her decision. Will this waiting period cut down on the amount of abortions, I don't think so, but at least a women will have at least one last chance before saying this is what she wants to do.
    TB9131

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home