Straight Up with Sherri

Monday, January 10, 2005

One Starfish at a Time!

Here we go. I am about to hang my tush out there and let it get blasted, but I am just disgusted over the entire Tsunami relief fiasco. What on earth have we become? It is like a war of who cares more, while in the Sudan we seem to be fighting a war of who cares less. I am amazed at the political posturing. Saddam and other dictators or guerilla groups can rape, pillage, and commit genocide to no end while we sit idly by, not wanting to but our nose into anyone else’s business. The mentality that it is not “our place” to intervene with a Sovereign nation’s right to slaughter and commit atrocities is enough to make me vomit. It is not “polite” to criticize these nations, let alone throw a monster out of power. This is political “boy’s club” gone amuck.

Don’t misunderstand; I have real compassion for the victims and the struggle ahead that they face. I lost interest in the “giving” war once I heard all the media and political puppets slamming on America, especially once I realized that the private sector of America has already donated up to a BILLION DOLLARS. I think they have enough monetary relief at this point, but people are still scrambling to raise more. Let’s all just pipe down. They have more funding right now than they could possibly exhaust within the next 6 months. Once 6 moths has passed, or money has tapped out but more aid is needed- then let me know.

There is one part of the story that is HEAVY on my heart. This is the stories of children possibly being abducted during all the chaos in order to be used in the sex slave industry. THIS HORRIFIES ME! So, if you are still feeling like you want to do something to help this situation, I say give to a cause that is already there and dealing with this awful evil. Take a look at
International Justice Mission. I saw Gary Haugen on the O’Reilly Factor and was very impressed with him. Then when I did a Google search on him and found the website for his organization, I was even MORE impressed. I have to be honest. I have no idea what their percentage of costs go directly to the victims and legal costs, but if I could see just one face, of one child that was saved from this life of horror, I will be THRILLED!

This is MY part. I will give 100% of ALL MY part of any DONATIONS given to Straight Up with Sherri for this entire month directly to IJM. I am using PayPal, so you know they take a percentage. Anything they don’t take- goes directly to IJM. I would also like to propose that all the money is given in the name of someone special. I would like to give this money in honor of Noah, John, Paul, Luke, and Mary Yates. But I am open to any of your suggestions on whose name to give this money in. Now, if you are the LEAST bit uncomfortable with giving through me, and would like to just give to IJM directly- PLEASE DO SO! I will be emailing them with a link to this site so they are aware that we are collecting for their cause and efforts. According to Gary Haugen, they have already been working in this area, and are well established there. He also made it clear that the biggest issue is law enforcement. If local law enforcement were to crack down on this horrific practice- it would not be so prevalent. The governments have already put safeguards in place to restrict children being taken OUT of the area.

I cannot imagine the terror and horror of a child who has not only lost their family, but is now being forced into such a terrible slavery. Please check out the website and pray on this. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERNCE.
One starfish at a time.

2 Comments:

  • Our company is sending employees, water purification equipment, and pharmaceutical supplies within the next few days. We are in the healthcare industry and are going to Thailand to help. I will get more information for those that would like to know within a day or so. Our new organization is Rapid Relief Response, and I am filing the forms this week.

    jlfintx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • jlfintx

    THANK FOR THAT INFO-- Let us know all you can and feel free to promote it as much as you can right here!!!! God Bless you and your efforts!! Thanks! Sherri

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home