Straight Up with Sherri

Thursday, April 14, 2005

UPDATE on Handicapped Girl

Here is a story with MUCH more information on this incident.

Witnesses Say Students Watched Girl's Sexual Assault At School

Officials Say Student Videotaped Abuse

UPDATED: 12:08 pm PDT April 13, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police say several students witnessed the sexual abuse of a girl at a Columbus high school.

A 16-year-old student with developmental delays said she was dragged into the auditorium of Mifflin High School, punched and forced to perform oral sex on at least two male students while more than a dozen other students were called in to watch.

One student reportedly videotaped the sex acts, WCMH-TV in Columbus reported.

A student witness reported hearing an attacker warn, "If you scream, I'll have my boys punch you."

The same witness said the girl then dropped to her knees after she was punched in the face.

Students scattered when help was called, officials said.

During the attack, one witness looked for a school security guard but could not find anyone, he told investigators.

"We went back to the auditorium; the victim was 'butt naked,"' the witness said, and someone "was on top of her."

The attackers then ran from the scene, and witnesses helped the girl get dressed before taking her to a security employee, who is not a police officer.

{snip}

"(She said) she was scared and told him to stop, but he hit her in the head and told her to be quiet," Calvario said.

Even after administrators were alerted to the alleged criminal act, they did not call police, or the victim's father, WCMH reported.

More than an hour later, teacher Lisa Upshaw called the girl's father. Upshaw said that when the girl's father arrived, assistant principal Richard Watson would not call the police.

The girl's father demanded that school officials call the police.

"Mr. Watson said, 'No we don't want to do that, we don't want the police,"' Upshaw told the investigator.

In his statement, Watson said he told the father to "go ahead and call," but not to call 911 because the "news channel might tape his daughter and cause her further mental trauma."

{snip}

The girl's father called police after Upshaw told him, "This is child abuse. She needs medical attention and this is wrong."



Read it ALL!

BTW: Phone # for RICHARD WATSON

(614) 365-5466

Remember.. He doesn't want ANY media attention.

In case you didn't get that number:

(614) 365-5466

DID YOU GET THAT?

(614) 365-5466

2 Comments:

  • First of all this is so awful I don't even know where to begin. When I was a teenage kid, there is no way I could see something like this happening and not jump in to help the girl, whether I knew her or not and then I knew that my friends would back me on that. Secondly if I were a teacher I would probably end up in trouble for whipping up on every kid I saw attacking this girl. I can not believe that no one did anything. I'm glad that I have chosen this profession. Kids need help and apparently so do some adults. RIDICULOUS!!!!

    KH
    0976

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:28 PM  

  • Ditto - what KH said.

    I'm afraid I would have been thrown in jail and not for lack of action. The kids doing nothing is bad enough, but the adults - despicable!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home