Straight Up with Sherri

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

One Disability Does Not Destroy Her Life

I wish to share with you a note that my daughter received. My daughter is a Special Education Teacher; she is also the Drama Director at a local Public Middle School (grades 6 - 8). The subject of the handwritten note is a young lady (who I will call Abby - not her real name), one of my daughter's students. The author of the note is the student's mother.

"Dear Miss ...,
Thank you for inviting Abby to be part of the play. She loves being with the students. It is great for her as well as others. If I would of known someone with Down Syndrome growing up I would not of been so scared when she was born. Hopefully, the awareness of disabilities will help others understand they are like everyone else. You have helped by expanding Abby's experiences, this we appreciate. The play was creative and very entertaining.

Thank you,
(Father & Mother's names)"

I was very moved by this note. My daughter gave me permission to use it, but only if I protected all referenced names. Every life is precious. We all have disabilities; some are just more physical and more noticeable than others. But that does not diminish our value in the eyes of God.

Right Wing Nut Job

4 Comments:

  • BEAUTIFUL!

    (singing)

    AMEN! AMEN!

    AMEN AMEN AMEN!

    Thanks for shring this- and thanks to your daughter for letting you share this with us!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 1:20 PM  

  • Aww Sherri, you beat me to it..but I'll say it anyways...AMEN!!!!!

    *snicker* some people disabilities aren't seen until they open their mouths...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

  • Marine Momma, you took the words right out of my mouth!

    tj1625

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM  

  • I second that marine momma and tj1625!!!!


    CM2056

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home