Straight Up with Sherri

Friday, July 29, 2005

I Want to Buy the World a Coke and Fairness is in the Middle?


Love this! Let's take a journey. Let's take some "popular" stands and follow them through.

Here is one comment that just tickles me! I call this one, "I want to buy the world a coke." (those younger readers may want to refer to an old Coke sales slogan/song to understand.)

"I do not think it is right for a birth certificate to have parent A and parent B on it. I think both parents name should be on the birth certificate even if parents are both males or both females. I am not for gay marriages, but I am not against any thing that make other people happy. Since I am not that way, I am not going to hate another person because they are that way. The world has to realize that people have to do what make them happy and that just cause you do not do it doesn't make it wrong or right.(TB8068)"

"not against any thing that make other people happy." HUH? What if robbing a bank makes me happy? I know, I know- so extreme, huh? What if sleeping around makes me happy? No one else has the right to put THEIR morals on me! Sounds fair, doesn't it? But what about the kids? Is it fair to the kids? Is it fair to them? I mean, I can raise my kids any way I want to right? The gov't or YOU have no right tellin' me how to raise my kids!

C'mon people! BIRTH CERTIFICATES! THIS MEANS CHILDREN! LITTLE LIVES HAVE BEEN BROUGHT INTO THE WORLD! GOD BLESS YA- YOU WANNA HAVE PARENT 'A' and PARENT 'B'. What about the child's RIGHT? What are we doing? Are we stepping back into slavery here? Does OWNERSHIP come into play? Who OWNS another human being? TELL ME! Who has the right to ERASE YOUR IDENTITY? Yeah- yeah- I know about adoption. DERN RIGHT I DO! We act so AFRAID to go AGAINST ANYTHING that might make someone else happy! Otherwise that makes us HATEMONGERS, right? FOOOEY!

Then this line- "The world has to realize that people have to do what make them happy and that just cause you do not do it doesn't make it wrong or right." HUH? This comment AGAIN- was in reference to the BIRTH CERTIFICATE thread. GET REAL! Just because I am afraid of heights and don't want to jump out of a PERFECTLY SAFE AIRPLANE WITH AN ABLE BODIED PILOT- does not mean I would call it WRONG to go skydiving! (Although I may call it NUTZ!)

Take a stand! This is not PARADISE or UTOPIA! There are plenty of things I don't choose to do- that doesn't make ANY of them WRONG!

As for the middle, this one is just as silly. If Joe thinks beating children is okay, and Sally thinks touching a child in discipline is ALWAYS wrong- middle of the road would be spanking- right? sound nuts? No. But if Joe thinks that murder is okay? then the middle would be what? BEATING? Being in the middle means basing your beliefs on EVERYONE ELSE'S STAND! RIDICULOUS! Finding comfort in "being in the middle" and striving for finding the "middle" for your own beliefs is basing YOUR beliefs on others. So if being 5 foot 1 is short, and 6 foot 2 is tall- I can't find happiness at 5 foot 2? Or if 200 lbs is FAT and 150 lbs is thin, then 175 lbs is what I shoot for? FAT IS FAT, SHORT IS SHORT- RIGHT IS RIGHT AND WRONG IS WRONG!

Base your beliefs and stands on YOU OWN VALUES! They may be different than others. They may seem extreme to some. BUT AT LEAST YOU KNOW THEY ARE YOURS- BASED ON YOUR BELIEFS- NOT ANYONE ELSE'S!

I found out something amazing to me a few weeks ago. Until 1969, lynching was considered LEGAL! This is AFTER I was born! So, in the era that my mother and father grew up- this was acceptable behavior. Does this mean that them being racist would be okay? Does this mean that them using the term "colored" is okay? NO! (And I must add that neither of my parents are racist or use such terms.) RELATIVITY does NOT WORK~! PERIOD!

Now, I know several of you will take these words and attempt to eat me for lunch. The funny thing is this, that's okay with me. I am NOT middle of the road. I AM WHO I AM- PERIOD. To some- I may seem moderate, to others extreme- to others just wrong. ALL OF THIS IS OKAY WITH ME. I AM WHO I AM BASED ON WHAT MY BELIEFS ARE AND WHAT I HOLD TO BE TRUE IN MY OWN HEART. NOT ON ANY ONE ELSE.

I use to be "little miss ERA!" I was pro-life in my heart, but I would always vote pro-choice. After all, as a woman who had been through "crisis pregnancies," I understood that NO ONE could tell me what to do. right? Then I grew up. I realized that life was not about ME. It was not about MY rights. NOTHING GAVE ME THE RIGHT TO END AN INNOCENT LIFE! If I truly OWNED this life inside of me, then I had to subscribe to slavery. I don't subscribe to such barbaric practices. PERIOD. It was a HARD thing to face, but right is right, wrong is wrong.

I base my values on GOD. Not me. I get a LOT of things wrong. I am NOT ALL KNOWING. I am NOT PERFECT. I don't have the answers to life. I don't know how to operate my VCR, DVD player, cell phone, or computer better than those that created these devices. So, I read the manual they write, so I can get the BEST and MOST out of their creation. So, I read the Bible, and try to get the best and most of my life from GOD. After all, I am not a creation of Barbara Boxer or Rush Limbaugh- I am HIS CREATION!


17 Comments:

  • LOL, so your response to those women (mostly) who showed reasonable compassion is to launch into a meandering, almost incoherent train of thoughts, pulling in all sorts of extreme examples that have little to do with the topic at hand. You are really rudderless right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:48 PM  

  • "launch into a meandering, almost incoherent train of thoughts, pulling in all sorts of extreme examples that have little to do with the topic at hand."


    Kind of like the arguments that "pro-choice" people use, like the argument that abortion cannot be outlawed except in the cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother being in danger... because what if someone gets raped!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 PM  

  • Some of the local readers consider me tolerant. Well, I am and I am not.

    You express your beliefs without sinking to condescension, which is a very engaging trait for a blogger. This skill is something Sherri sorely lacks, and she has never been able to recognize and/or attenuate it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 PM  

  • "I was born that way" is tepid and cowardly but "I personally think this and that is wrong but I'll hide behind God and claim he told me it's wrong" isn't?

    Just because you happen to consider something sinful does not actually make it so. Unless it actually corresponds with a crime you're simply in the situation where you don't like or agree with something. You can attempt to cleverly sneak non-criminal behavior in a mix of despicable crimes but it does not change anything.

    On the topic of the birth certificates the objection isn't "it will make them worthless if they can have arbitrary names", it's "I don't want to even further legitimize homosexuality". Either objection is valid but don't pick the one that happens to hide your prejudice best and claim it's how you really feel about the matter.

    And if you want to make obscure comparisons. If your child happens to be afraid of a spider, thinks they're evil and wants them all squished, do you feed its fear or try to convince it that they're harmless and that they shouldn't be afraid?
    Change spiders to homosexuality and the answer should be the exact same.

    I can understand why you'd compare abortion to murder even though I disagree, but comparing gay marriage or same sex names on a birth certificate to murder, pedophelia and other forms of abuse is beyond me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

  • Being in the middle means basing your beliefs on EVERYONE ELSE'S STAND!
    The feeling I got was not that someone was in the middle, It seemed to me they were trying to say they disagree but also understand that not everyone in this world do, or have to agree with them.
    how can you get mad at people for topic jumping and "baiting" when you do it just as often if not more. I really don't know what your fight is here Sherri. sre you against a 2nd B.C. because its gays or are you against them all together?
    I really wish there was a place to live where the laws reflected all of my beliefs, I would go move there if such a place ever came around. You also seem to have a huge double standard thing going on. I can give you 100 examples of you "baiting" people but you bash others for doing the same then ask a guy who clearly, from day one, did nothing but bait and bash people (spatula "king") to stop by more often, then blast "ANONS" for doing the same thing. I once read here someone who I thnk nailed it on the head when they said that you seem to be ok with behavior such as disrespect, baiting, bashing, and so on as ;ong as they agree with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • Can you imagine if we lived our lives and the laws reflected the bible 100%? to tell a lie would be just as bad as killing a person!!! Is this how it should be? spending life behind bars beacuse you told a lie?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 PM  

  • I really don't know what your fight is here Sherri.

    No fight- LOL! My point is just to take a stand. To believe in something and take a stand. When we do that, sometimes we may fall in the middle. But to SEEK the middle is silly.

    As for "baiting," Maybe you come here looking for a fight. Fighting is silly. I have my own views and points. I don't blog to fight or sway or convince. I blog for reasons of my own, that I may share with ya'll one day- or I may not.

    I have respect for people who disagree with me but believe in what they say. I find great humor in poeple who base their beliefs on what they think makes them look likable or wise.

    As you may notice, I certainly don't base my views on what I think might make me popular......

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 10:54 PM  

  • No fight- LOL! My point is just to take a stand. To believe in something and take a stand. When we do that, sometimes we may fall in the middle. But to SEEK the middle is silly.

    I still dont know what your point is. Is it against gays with kids or no 2nd b.c.?

    I think a sin is a sin is a sin. Thats my understnading of the bible. And to tell you the truth if we lived by what the bible says then wouldn't there be no prison or courts? we would all live out lives as we wish then wait for God to judge us.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 PM  

  • I try to live by the Bible.

    Do I think EVERYONE should try and live by the Bible? YES. Do I think it should be LAW that everyone live BY THE BIBLE? No.

    Should our laws be based on morality? YES. Should ALL sin be outlawed? NO.

    Am I against gays having children? LOL! YES! I am also against DRUNKS raising children, and racists raising children. Do I think it should be against the LAW, for any of these groups to have children? Only if they abuse these children. There are more forms of abuse than just physical. In fact, I think the DRUNK and the RACIST are the most dangerous parents. (other than liberals of course.)

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 11:17 PM  

  • UHOH! RWNJ said "tolerate"! LOL!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 11:22 PM  

  • "Nonetheless, I look to a higher power for guidance."
    From where I sit you're doing the exact opposite to the point where you abuse a higher power to justify prohibiting something you personally happen to disagree with. There is no 11th commandment that says "thou shall cast out people for arbitrary reasons".

    "If they want to sodomize one another or play with perverted toys, okay. Let them do it in the closet but not in front of my kids!"
    Another non-sequitur. Clearly it's questionable for anyone to engage in obvious sexual activity in public and plain wrong should it happen in front of children but I really don't see how that's somehow limited to homosexuality.
    What you really meant is that you don't want to see the same type of behavior that's acceptable for heterosexual couples in public done by gay couples in public which is fine but that's also your problem and not theirs.
    I can't say that seeing two women or two men kissing in public won't cause some concern for me, but I know that's solely my problem and not theirs.
    Otherwise by the same token it would be perfectly acceptable to demand that obese people go to extraordinary length to hide their "deviancy" or those who haven't yet discovered personal hygiene or anyone with visible piercings or tattoos to name some absurd examples.

    "Spiders do not choose to be spiders. It is what they are. Homosexuals choose to be homosexual. It is not what they are; it is what they choose to do."
    In the end that distinction is also totally irrelevant when it comes to how you react to it (beyond the fact that you also can't prove a spider didn't choose to be a spider, or didn't choose to crawl into my house).
    I didn't choose to be afraid of spiders, but I could probably overcome that if I wanted to; that makes my fear of them a rather twisted "choice". In much the same way your prejudice is the result of a personal choice and in no way ordained by anyone else but yourself and also not significantly different from racism which surprisingly enough was mentioned by Sherri post as being an unacceptable trait in a parent.
    If you teach your child that homosexuality is wrong and evil, you're no better than the parent who teaches their child to hate anyone who isn't white, or anyone who doesn't go to church, or is Canadian, etc.

    This is also far off-topic where the choice was rather simple. Either you allow birth certifcates to have the names of people who aren't the natural parents in which case there's no reason to disallow it for homosexuals based on the equality principle. Or you insist that only the natural parents are ever listed and then you have to take away the measures that currently exists for heterosexual couples.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 AM  

  • Even though I am an agnostic, I generally find myself agreeing with the religious right on cultural issues.

    However, I do not believe that homosexuality is "evil", and that homosexuals should be targeted for such blatant discrimination. Lumping homosexuality into the same cesspool as pedophilia is WRONG, IMO.

    This is the kind of stuff that turns me cold on Christianity. You can't call someone evil and perverted, and then turn around and say you love them anyway. What the hell kind of message is that sending? No thank you.

    Sherri and RWNJ, I love you guys, but I'm not with you on this one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:49 PM  

  • Lady Redhawk

    THANKS SO MUCH for sharing your thoughts, and- I LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 5:54 PM  

  • "There is no 'equity principle' for those who choose homosexual behavior."
    History is filled with the consequences of what happens when one group arbitrarily considers itself superior to another.

    "Being Canadian is a tough one. Is this by nature or by choice? If it is by choice, go ahead and condemn it if you wish."
    Again you missed the point. Once someone makes the decision to hate or discriminate against anyone finding reasons to justify and legitimize bigotry is easy.
    And the context was not whether you have a certain prejudice - we all do - but whether you choose to pass it on to your children. There are a few things I can say I'm intolerant about but my hope is not to instill the same in my children, but rather to give them a clean slate. They will still have prejudices in the end, but at least they will be their own and for their own - hopefully just - reasons and not mine.
    It's not the role of a parent to indoctrinate but rather to educate which might be why you generally disagree with the goverment making things you want your child to be intolerant or ignorant about part of the curriculum.

    "In my case as it regards homosexuality, it is rather simply stated in this quick Q&A from the Diocese of Lincoln."
    There's nothing there that substantiates the claim that homosexuality is a sin (it just takes it as fact) and neither do the two bible passages that are mentioned. At best you can offer an interpretation that alludes to what the passages are supposed to mean rather than what they actually say, but even then you're only left with the condemning of sexual activity between two men which can take place regardless of whether they're straight or gay.
    So you're still short a condemnation of anything that happens between two women and for men at best you can only condemn a specific sexual act that you in most cases have no way of knowing occured or not.
    I can see how you can try to use those passages to legitimize your existing prejudice, but nothing said there actually validates that it's a righteous one to have in the first place.

    "Finally, regarding obesity, it is what someone is - I will not criticize that."
    Apart from the fact that I used it as an absurd example, it is most definitely a choice. Noone gains to 400 pounds by eating lettuce and carrots.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 AM  

  • I don't think that homsexuality is right. I believe that a man must be with a woman and a woman must be with a man. What kind of parental values are being passed on by allowing homosexuals to adopt kids? I don't think it's right, but that's my ignorance.
    SBG3301

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

  • Ok, I completly agree with this article because I too base my beliefs on GOD. We know what is wrong and what is right. That is the definition of a society. We operate on a set of understood normas and values. Happiness should be chosen as long as it is not at the expense of another citizen. Knowing right from wrong is what helps us grow as people. If we never knew right from wrong, most of us probably wouldnt have made it past age 10..... People always make excuses by using extreme examples to deter the subject. Everything must have a balance. Nothing in this world works off of "all or nothing." THERE MUST BE BALANCE

    DLM1930

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 PM  

  • Before we even talk about ORDER or what an ORDER system is, we must have an understanding of what CHAOS and a CHAOTIC system is first, and there has to be an understanding that "Chaos and Order are not enemies, only opposites." (RICHARD GARRIOTT) They are merely opposites which neither can exist with-out each other.

    The weather is an example of a chaotic system. In order to make long-term weather forecasts it would be necessary to take an infinite number of measurements, which would be impossible to do. Also, because the atmosphere is chaotic, tiny uncertainties would eventually overwhelm any calculations and defeat the accuracy of the forecast. The presence of chaotic systems in nature seems to place a limit on MAN's ability to apply deterministic physical laws to predict motions with any degree of certainty.

    Chaos refers to the issue of whether or not it is possible to make accurate long-term predictions of any system if the initial conditions are known to an accurate degree.

    And this is what MANKIND hates.. Unpredictability.. The fear of the UNKNOWN.. And it is this which causes Mankind's desire to eliminate all uncertainties. .BASICALLY IT IS TO CONTROL EVERYTHING!!!!!

    Now, with all that being said, you have just prepared yourself mentally to understand Mankind's obsession with control and what it is powered by, that which is FEAR.
    Fortunately for us, mankind's system has left a crucial ingredient out of it's equation for total control and dominance, and that is BALANCE!!!!

    "Chaos was the law of nature; Order was the dream of man." (Henry Brooks Adams)

    Let us see where the dreams of MAN take us....

    CBA
    4163 7120

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home