Straight Up with Sherri

Saturday, February 19, 2005

MERCY KILLING???

Let's take a GOOD look at what Michael "the Monster" Shiavo and Judge "the Jerk" Greer call a "mercy" killing.

According to Dr. William Burke:

Terri will feel it. She will go into seizures. Her skin will crack, her tongue will crack, her lips will crack. She will have nosebleeds because of the drying of the mucus membranes, and heaving and vomiting might ensue because of the drying out of the stomach lining. She will feel the pangs of hunger and thirst. Imagine going one day without a glass of water! Death by dehydration takes ten to fourteen days. It is an extremely agonizing death.

Dr. Ronald Cranford:

After seven to nine days [from commencing dehydration] they begin to lose all fluids in the body, a lot of fluids in the body. And their blood pressure starts to go down. When their blood pressure goes down, their heart rate goes up . . . . Their respiration may increase and then . . . the blood is shunted to the central part of the body from the periphery of the body. So, that usually two to three days prior to death, sometimes four days, the hands and the feet become extremely cold. They become mottled. That is you look at the hands and they have a bluish appearance. And the mouth dries a great deal, and the eyes dry a great deal and other parts of the body become mottled. And that is because the blood is now so low in the system it's shunted to the heart and other visceral organs and away from the periphery of the body. . . .

Kate's Journey: Triumph over Adversity. Appearing on The O'Reilly Factor, Adamson described the experience of being denied nourishment:

When the feeding tube was turned off for eight days, I thought I was going insane. I was screaming out in my mind, "Don't you know I need to eat?" And even up until that point, I had been having a bagful of Ensure as my nourishment that was going through the feeding tube. At that point, it sounded pretty good. I just wanted something. The fact that I had nothing, the hunger pains overrode every thought I had.

Kate in another interview:

The agony of going without food was a constant pain that lasted not several hours like my operation did, but several days. You have to endure the physical pain and on top of that you have to endure the emotional pain. Your whole body cries out, "Feed me. I am alive and a person, don't let me die, for God's sake! Somebody feed me."

I craved anything to drink. Anything. I obsessively visualized drinking from a huge bottle of orange Gatorade. And I hate orange Gatorade. I did receive lemon flavored mouth swabs to alleviate dryness but they did nothing to slake my desperate thirst.

2 Comments:

  • Why don't we just call it "Mercyless Killing"? If one is going to help someone die, the procedure should be quick and painless. Death by dehydration is a long drawn painful process no one should have to endure. To put a loved one through a ten to fourteen days process of slow death is heartless. Seizures, skin, tongue and lips cracking is torture to anyone - whether terminally sick or not. Whatever happened to natural deaths? Sadly todays soceity is more tolerant to cruelty heartlessness. I wonder why her monster husband is pushing for it - any motive?

    HUMN 410 SB7413

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:12 PM  

  • What has our society come to? To let a person starve to death is indeed brutal. Thank you for making us aware. I will follow this story, hopefully to a better outcome.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home