Straight Up with Sherri

Monday, February 07, 2005

Truth In NEWS: Lend Your Time, Talent, Treasure, or Touch.....

Straight Up with Sherri is in the process of creating a visionary, credible media source to be named “Truth In NEWS.” There are many days in which I sift through possible topics or news events to write about, and find myself wanting to cover more than I could possibly cover, and cover well. Bringing you headlines with links to the actual news story is one way to go, but I also believe there are many other things that can be done. Bringing you the Headlines with links and then “rewriting the article,” seems to be the route I am interested in going.

Too many times in our present media, we are spoon-fed quotes by people without the facts of what they said ever being researched and supported. If Senator John Doe says, “The plan put forth by President Bush will leave your grandmother living in a homeless shelter,” then that is what they print. Media sources have gotten lazy about verifying facts. For instance, in the Middle East News, many media outlets use the same person to get news from, and that one person is grossly prejudiced. There is no doubt that we all bring a certain bias to the table. We each have our own paradigm. That being said, there is still a difference between fact and fiction. There are good and bad in every profession, but lately, there seems to be a lot more of the bad in the field of news and journalism.

There is also another aspect to news that we are not seeing. We are seeing some stories just flat out ignored. Most of your TV news have very little time to get out all the stories they are aware of, so the ones that don’t portray their agenda will most likely end up on the cutting room floor. Also along these lines, there are great stories going on in our own towns, that the rest America or the world would benefit from knowing. I have received pictures and accounts of events from people, just like you and me. They are regular Joe Shmoes, but there was a rally in their town or some other event, and they attended. The present day national news is not giving us the real story about what America looks like. WE can change this.

Here’s the announcement. I am looking for anyone interested in helping, or contributing to this cause. There are many ways we can do this. You can help by finding stories and emailing links. You can help by writing your own essays (warning- this is rewarding work, but can prove to be quite laboring when it comes to research and thoroughness.), you can help by attending events and taking pictures in you local area, and of course you can help financially also.

This is a HUGE endeavor. It will take a lot of work, and I am just one person. If enough people are interested, this can be done. A media source that is truly OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE, AND FOR THE PEOPLE! If you are interested in helping, you can go to my profile and click the link to email me, or you can help financially by clicking the “make a donation” button in the side margin.

I have prayed hard on this for months, and every turn leaves God giving me another sign to pursue this career. It will mean great sacrifices of time, energy, risks, and cash flow, but I am ready to do it if I can get the support I need. If you are interested in being a part of the “Truth in NEWS” team, let me know. If you have ideas or talents you are willing to share, please do this also. Thanks for your time and the honor of serving each of you here at Straight Up with Sherri. Don’t worry, Straight Up isn’t going anywhere, but if this thing takes off I might get the begin posting my column like most columnists do, once a week.

5 Comments:

  • Sherri,
    First please allow me to say thank you for your hard work and dedication. I cannot begin to imagine the amount of time you invest in this endeavor each week. Then there is the fact that you are also a Mother - a full-time job.

    The choice of music adds the perfect twist for appropriate emotive response...though I must say I am not generally a country music listener.

    You implore those of who are reading your post to offer assistance. I am currently studying for a business degree, and am familiar with the challenges required to research topics - one thought leads to another, and another, and another...oi.
    To say that we each have or live in our own paradigm is to simply state a truth, for who can know another human, truly? We can unite to overcome and become a reckoning, or we can remain in our small selves, alone, and go on with life as we know it, in apathy, not challenging, or questioning.
    This is not of the spirit...if you, if we, are given signs, or are blessed, as in free will, then we have a responsibility to use that blessing to benefit ourselves and others.
    So thank you Sherri. Blessings to both you and your children, and may I humbly request the opportunity to assist, in some small way, with the creation of your "Truth in the News".

    By Blogger Contemporary History, at 10:19 PM  

  • I would be much more comfortable in donating financially if you didn't express such an endearment to the consumption of liquor. Surely you must recognize the evils that it brings to your life and those you touch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 AM  

  • I would be much more comfortable in donating financially if you didn't express such an endearment to the consumption of liquor. Surely you must recognize the evils that it brings to your life and those you touch.I should ignore this comment, but by the end of my response, I think it will be clear why I haven't.

    First off- If ANYONE for ANY REASON doesn't feel LEAD, to give in ANY capacity- by all means -- do NOT! I advocate following what the Lord prompts us to do. If it is the Lord's desire that this work, nothing I or anyone else can do will keep it from working- HE is bigger than us all. If it is HIS desire that it NOT work-- again- nothing we can do to make it work.

    Second- Here I am. MY name, MY face, MY thoughts- right HERE for YOUR scrutiny. I am a big girl-- I can take it-- otherewise I wouldn't be here. I CHOOSE to put myself in a place where I can be judged--- PLEASE--- BRING ON THE JUDGEMENT__GO RIGHT AHEAD! I am fully aware that I am not perfect and that I have flaws and weaknesses.-- That will never make me withdrawal from the fight. AMAZING to me though- how people will pass judgement and then throw it out in the public arena under ANONYMOUS! C'mon! That is nothing less than cowardly. Easy to throw words around meant to "inflame."

    Third- I am perfectly comfortable with the role of "alcohol" in my life. Can, and does alcohol ruin and destroy lives-- YES! YOU BET THEY DO! EVERY FAMILY I HAVE BEEN a part of has been destroyed BY "ADDICTION." That is--all except the one I have built NOW- with only myself and my children. There is NO evil in ALCOHLOL-- THere is NO EVIL in MONEY! There is NO EVIL in THINGS!!! The evil is in men's hearts. The evil is when your vice becomes your God. Evil is when your vice causes harm to the ones you love and you become foolish! It was a hard lesson to learn. I had to stop blaming the alcohol and start realizing that it is all about PERSONAL CHOICES! I choose to say "no" to a drink becasue I have to climb behind the wheel of a car. Guess what-- MY dad didn't! (biological dad) My husband chose his vices over his children everyday! EVERYDAY! Again-- I FULLY UNDERSTAND THE EVIL THAT IT CAN bring into lives.

    Lastly- The reason I decided to actually respind is that while I have no duty to respond to PERSONAL attacks- and yes-- I take it as a personal attack-- WHY? Because it was signed ANONYMOUS-- AND if ANONYMOUS were sincerely concerned about the welfare of my family--- ANONYMOUS could very easily email me with their concern. VERY EASILY! They didn't for two reasons--- They are cowards themselves-- easy to pass judgement and even easier to do it without ANY acocuntability. Also- the fact that it was "placed in the public fore" instead of an email smacks of insincerity. Mostly I want to address this because THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HAVE A HARD TIME WITH CHRISTIANS!!!!!!! THIS IS WHY! THIS WAS NOT SAID OR DONE OUT OF LOVE! IT WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO PLAY BOMB THROWING. ANONYMOUS! HAVE FUN IN YOUR IVORY TOWER-- AND TRUST ME-- no matter how much- or how little my "endearment to the consumption of alcohol" hurts the Lord's kingdom--- YOUR ANONYMOUS JUDGING OF OTHERS and your Dogmatic finger pointing is doing more harm to HIS kingdom and to the people in your OWN LIFE!

    I am a work in progress-- I also would like to point out that your method reminds me of the story of the reporter that asks, "Does your mother know you beat your wife?" The ASSUMPTION is already made that one actually BEATS one's wife. AMAZING!

    PS-- as the Lord would have me do, THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT THE "SPECK" IN MY EYE!

    (now where did I put the Kahlua? Time for some morning coffee)

    By Blogger Straight Up with Sherri, at 7:37 AM  

  • Sherri:
    (I'm posting anonymously because it looks like it takes alot of effort to get a user name on this system. Isn't there an easier blogging site you can use?)

    But anyway, as a fellow LGFer I have to admit you do mention alcohol an awful lot in your posts. If your parents were addicts, you have a very high probability of succumbing too. Just some quick facts, not passing judgement.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

  • Hey, you losers who post anonymously! You don't have to go through all that sign-up stuff, just sign your damn name! Grrrrr! And stop throwing rocks!

    Sherri, you are doing a great job. I work a lot of hours, but I'd love to help you do research, and maybe do a little writing. I'll also contribute to the ol' tip jar. Girl, you work hard at this, and I want you to spend the money ANY WAY YOU PLEASE!

    The goody-goodies who are berating you for alcohol probably pick their noses when no one is looking. Don't pay any attention to them. You know right from wrong, and moderation from excess.

    Now, please pass the kahlua, my coffee is a little bland....LOL! ;-)

    P.S. hi RWNJ!

    ---Lady Redhawk

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home